Friday 20 July 2012

Everyday Vegetable Juice (Carrot, Celery and Orange Juice)


Seeing as this is a cookery blog, you may not be expecting to see a drink made out of raw vegetables, but hey, there is a first time for everything!

One of the biggest things I miss already about Nottingham, is the juice bar I used to visit whenever I felt like I needed a boost! (It’s no coincidence that they are called “Juice Boost Bars” haha.)
My favourite was their “five-a-day-juice” which was made up of 2 oranges, 2 apples, 2 carrots, celery sticks, beetroot & a Detox booster. YUMMY! I swear at one particularly low point during exams and revision I was addicted to these and had one almost every day which really didn’t do my bank balance much good.

The first two weeks I returned home from university I came down with a really nasty cold. It took me so long to get rid of that I found myself behind on all sort from unpacking, to registering at law school, and I hadn’t found myself a part time job. Now a month later, I’m finally back on track, then after just a few hours with my sister she passes on her Midlands germs and I’m all stuffed up once again. I am not a happy bunny!
With no juice bar to go to for my veggie juice hit and a detox booster or two, I’ve had to improvise, so for the first time ever I decided to make my own fruit juice.

Unfortunately, I do not have a fancy juicer but I do have a liquidiser!!! So that will have to do for now. So if you don’t have a fancy machine either don’t panic anything that can blitz  and shrd your veggies into a fine pulp will do the trick.
This recipe is a variation on the 5 a day juice with 3 of my favourite ingredients that we almost always have to hand, so I could drink it every day should I choose! That’s why it’s my “everyday veggie juice”.




The 3 main ingredients are carrot, celery and orange.
Now the health benefits of oranges are perhaps the most well known; high in vitamin C it can give a helping hand to your immune system and can help you ward off nasty illnesses like the dreaded common cold! But orange juice also contains potassium which is essential for our bodies, folate which aids the reproduction of new cells and thiamine. Orange juice also has antioxidants which can help fight against cancer.

Celery also has lots of awesome health properties: the stems which are used in this juice are excellent sources of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C. They are also a source of potassium, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and amino acids. Finally, celery is a great source of fibre!
Lastly, carrot juice also has a lot to offer. Not only is it what gives this juice its luminous yellow colour and amazing taste, but provides you with vitamin A (which is great for a healthy liver), B vitamins, vitamin E and other minerals including calcium, copper, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, and iron.

With all of these delicious nutrients you may be asking yourself why you haven’t been drinking vegetable juices all this time, well now’s your chance with this easy-peasy juice recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Monsef! Glad you liked it! Do pop back again soon

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...