Thursday 15 December 2011

Harissa spiced Lamb Steak with cous cous and moroccan veg.



I am absolutely terrible at going to the reduced section in supermarkets - when I see a bargain I simply can't resist it, so somehow (despite my normal tendency to shy away from meat, in particular lamb and beef) I found myself taking home two huge lamb steaks!

What on earth was I going to do with these?!

I do a delicious veggie tagine (even if I do say so myself) which you can find here, so I wanted to do something a little different, but still with a Moroccan edge, and I came up with this recipe!

The basic idea is that you have slow cooked veg and chickpeas inspired by a traditional tagine, lemon and coriander cous cous, with a big fat juicy harrisa spice lamb steak on top!

Sound good?

Well here's the recipe:





When I first started playing around with Moroccan food i didn't use any harissa,i simply raided my spice rack and used a variety of different spices to get the same effect. Fortunately one day I was looking in the speciality food isle, when I realised just how cheap harissa is!!!


For a small 90g pot in Sainsbury's you will only pay 99p!

Look how cute it is...



From now on there are no excuses not to make traditional Moroccan dishes - except for the fact that I STILL can't find preserved lemons anywhere....can anyone help me out here?

Moroccan food seems to me one of those things people shy away from. Most cooks these days will have their own take on an authentic curry, the perfect pasta sauce and more, but you rarely see people playing around with Moroccan food!

Go out and give it a go! I'd love to hear other people's Moroccan style dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...