Thursday 20 September 2012

Warm Salad Series: Fresh Fig Salad with Cured Ham and Mozarella


“Fresh figs 3 for £1,” how do you walk past a market stall with a sign like that? I certainly couldn’t!
The first day that I attended law school I noticed a fruit market just on the corner by the tube station. They sell allsorts from big fruit salads for just £1 which are perfect for lunch, to other fresh seasonal fruits – like figs!

Every morning the stall is already set up with lots of customers grabbing something to eat on their way to work, and it’s only taken me a week to be swept up by the stalls popularity. This may have been my first purchase, but I know it won’t be my last.
I’ve only eaten figs a few times (always in restaurants) and I have never cooked with them myself, so it was a pretty bold move to buy some. However, with my warm salad series underway I knew I could muddle something together.


As a bit of a side note: for those of you who are wondering just how “fresh” the figs in the shops/market are likely to be, they are in season from August to early October so don’t feel bad about going out and grabbing some, they are at their peak right now! I’m trying to be super conscious about eating seasonally and if you are too, this recipe is perfect!
I also wanted to make this salad a really exciting and indulgent one – what better way to try something new than to go all out and make the effort. The figs however really are the star here, and the cheese, ham and honey compliment the sweet, luscious figs beautifully.

Also...for those of you who are also watching your weight, make this salad a little healthier by swapping the mozzarella for a half fat variety (I never buy full fat any more, do you?!), and be confident in the knowledge that figs have lots of wonderful health benefits including that they are a good source of fiber, complex carbohydrates potassium, calcium, magnesium and iron.
This warm salad should certainly ease you into the autumn months and hopefully the hint of the exotic will remind you that the summer wasn’t too long ago…

 




Past posts in this series: Grilled Nectarine and Goats Cheese Salad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...