Friday 24 May 2013

Mustard Chicken and Vegetable Pie


Mustard Chicken and Vegetable Pie

When I look around my blog I think the last word I would use to describe my food is traditional. More often than not my recipes are a twist on a classic – a traditional idea that has been warped either to be healthier, more exciting, or to simply use up the ingredients I’ve got in the cupboards.
With that in mind, this is probably the closest I will ever get to a traditional recipe.

Chicken and veg pie has been around for hundreds of years. It’s a simple idea and is such a crowd pleaser. With the addition of English mustard, this pie has a bit more kick than some, but the filo pastry keeps it crisp and light. (It also helps to keep the calories down, which is always a plus!)





A peek of the inside! And look at that crispy top!

Another great thing about this recipe is that it is made best with leftover roast chicken. You can make it with chicken breast if you chose but I prefer using all the yummy meat off the carcass,: both white and dark. It also means that it’s really quick to make with just the vegetables to prep before cooking can begin.

Another plus is that the vegetables used are also the kind of veg you’d expect to have in the fridge – made with carrots, leeks and peas!  Don’t be afraid to throw in anything you’ve got though: broccoli and green beans also work really well.
 


All gone!!!
So there it is! It’s incredibly simple to make and is packed full of flavour. If you love mustard feel free to add in more. Taste your sauce before you put it in the pie dish to see if it needs that bit extra heat for your family.
I’ve suggested serving with either salad (great for summer) or yet even more vegetables (better for winter.) There’s plenty of chicken (and ham) in the pie that I think it can take the extra “greenery” on the side.

My favourite thing about this pie though has to be the filo pastry. It gives a brilliant crunch to the dish which is incredibly satisfying – and dare I say it, I prefer the filo to a short crust or even a puff pastry pie!
---------------

To the vegetarians among my readers, watch this space because I have another filo pastry pie that I will be cooking again in the next few weeks. This time it is fully encased in filo. Come back soon for the recipe!

4 comments:

  1. Wow looks lovely! I make chicken pie a lot but always wuth shortcrust. Need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go and let me know what you think! Shortcrust is great if you have the time and you can splash out on the extra calories. Filo is a great alternative for making pie a regular occurence at dinner time :P

      Delete
  2. There's nothing like a pie and it's a great way to use up the excess cooked chicken. I always liked a thick pastry that soaked up the filling in chicken pies but I've got to admit that the filo texture is very satisfying too and just a bit addictive. I'm looking forward to the fully encased filo pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil, glad you like the recipe! I must admit I am still a sucker for those puff pastry chicken and mushroom pies you used to get in little tin foil cases from fish and chip shops :) the one near me unfortunately stopped making them years ago.

      Pop back over the next week or so! I hope to have the next filo pie up by the end of next week, or early the week after that. It looks pretty spectacular when it comes out of the oven! (Even if I do say so myself...)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...